Magnet safety is a serious problem – Permanent Magnet Safety – Dangers

Permanent magnet, especially strong sintered neodymium magnet, is extremely powerful. It is harmful to personal body or damage to the other magnets if not used carefully. So magnet safety is a serious problem.

Harm to Personal Body

NiCuNi is the most common coating for neodymium magnet. People with nickel allergies should avoid prolonged contact with nickel plated magnets. Because this allergic reaction can cause redness and a skin rash.

magnet safety finger hurt

Magnetized products with strong magnetic force may hurt people’s fingers. People who have no idea for modern magnet may ignore the damage caused by super strong permanent magnets.

The danger of big permanent magnet is obvious. But we can’t ignore hurt from strong small rare earth magnet. This hurt is not only on skin, but maybe intestinal tract.

For example, small permanent magnets like ball magnets or cube magnets are wonderful toy with highly educational, but small children may swallow and cause intestinal perforation.

Attention: small children should forbid contact any magnets!

Older children should handle magnets only under adult supervision, and completely understanding magnet power, and wearing proper safety equipment if needed.

In a word, keep small magnets away from young children who might swallow them.

Influence to Pacemakers

Pacemakers and defibrillators are sensitive to strong magnetic fields. People, who have pacemaker or defibrillator, or any other electronics, should avoid magnets completely before consulting a doctor!

Physical And Chemical Harm

Magnetized products with strong magnetic strength damage magnetic media, such as floppy disks, cassette tapes, credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, video tapes or other such devices. They can also damage televisions, VCRs, cell phones, computer monitors and CRT displays. Please avoid placing permanent magnets near electronic appliances.

Requirements on Packing & Storage

Made of hard and brittle material, permanent magnets are brittle and fragile. If slam together, magnets will peel, chip, crack or shatter. Eye protection should be used when handling magnets, since shattering magnets can launch small pieces at great speeds.

Neodymium magnets are easy to get rusty in the presence of moisture.  Even with nickel-copper-nickel plating, magnets are not waterproof. If used in a moist environment, they can corrode and lose magnetic strength.

Powerful magnetic fields can interfere with compasses and navigation. Magnetic fields can influence compasses or magnetometers used in air transport, Smartphone and GPS devices. Hence, there are rules and regulations cover shipping magnets by air and ground delivery from IATA (International Air Transport Association).

Permanent magnets will lose magnetic force at high temperatures. The operating temperature for normal grade is 80°C (175°F). However the actual maximum operating temperature of a magnet can vary depend on the material, grade, magnet shape and how it is used.

Neodymium magnet powder or dust is flammable. Therefore, you should avoid drilling or machining neodymium magnets.

  1. Magnetized products should be packed with lining and shielding
  2. Magnet has strong magnetic force. So we should store it in ventilated, dry and anti-corrosion places to avoid corrosion.
  3. Permanent magnets are powerful. We should use special package to isolate magnetic force and keep outer carton no magnetic force.
  4. It’s better to stock Magnetized products under room temperature.
  5. Move carefully with shake-proof, collision-proof and rain-proof.